Thursday 2 April 2009

The Object of Being Curious

The object of this blog (do you see what I did there?) is to show off some of the more strange and weird items that I collect, or see, or just happen upon. Things that don't necessarily fit in my other blog - the Kitsch and the Curious. There will be kitsch, of course, but perhaps more weirdness. And my intention is to just concentrate on the objects themselves, rather than the personal chat of my other blog.

The first item, chosen at random, is one that has just passed through my hands. I put it on Etsy this week, and it sold within the hour.

This is a strange piece of folk art - a small basket with a religious message woven into its body. The words around the basket say:
"PRAY TRUST FAITH HOPE LOVE
FOR HAPPY MARRIAGE
CHRIST IS THE FOUNDATION
BY REV. DINAH"
It's beautifully and very finely woven, and I think it might be African. You have wonder - who was the Rev Dinah? Was it a wedding present, perhaps?

No comments: