Here's a treat for the weekend. A wonderful old book, with sample letters for every occasion. Or to put it in their own words...
The examples really are very specific. Take these two negative answers to a proposal - one for a maid servant -
If space allowed, I could go on with more gems, such as
- Reminding a Lady of a former Intimacy and inviting her to pay a Visit
- Inviting a Lady to to visit under painful Circumstances
- From a Maid servant answering a cool Letter from her Lover
- Reproaching a Consignee for Sacrificing Goods
- Containing a Matrimonial Proposal from a Gentleman almost a Stranger, etc.