Wednesday 21 March 2012

"An ugly baby is a very nasty object...

"...and the prettiest is frightful." So said Queen Victoria. I don't know if today's object is Victorian, but it looks pretty frighful.

This little china pot is just a few inches tall, and I have no idea what it is. The slightly disturbing baby picture makes me wonder if it might have been a christening gift. But what is it? Is it meant to be purely ornamental? Let me re-phrase that. Is it meant to be ornamental at all? I suppose so. 

A little vase with a baby on it, to sit on your shelf, and remind you of the giver, old Auntie Vi, who you always thought was going to cough up the cash for a silver teaspoon at least, the miserable old skinflint.

1 comment:

Tami Von Zalez said...

Guess it is one of those things - it is so ugly, it's cute. We come across the oddest things, huh?
thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com