Friday 8 June 2012

Friday Postcards - Greetings from Poland

By a complete coincidence, I find that I am showing you postcards of Poland, just when the England football team are there for some sort of sporting event. But whilst they are staying in the picturesque city of Krakow, these postcards show us the slightly less picturesque city of Lukow.

I got these in a job lot of cards from Ebay, and was delighted by their grim banality. However, in the hope of discovering more about the city and its attractions, I have translated the back of these postcards, so I can share with you the full excitement of the sights of Lukow.

At the top, we have 'Lukow, Then and Now. Fragment of Chopin Street' (as before-and-after photos go, it's not the most convincing improvement), and below is ' An Insurance Firm General Building Inspectorate' (clearly the throbbing heart of the financial district). 
Above, we have 'Meat Plant, built 1970-1973', (who doesn't like to see a good meat plant?), and the next one is 'Leona Klimeckiego Housing Estate' (a fun place, if ever I saw one).
Wow! Holiday postcards always make you want to go there right now, don't they?

2 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Wow, these are great. I have a tourism book about Poland which actually shows photos of animal testing...

Unknown said...

i know it sounds silly but they make me happy :)